Friday, January 23, 2009

Dr. Seuss..You are So Wise..Your Silly Book put Tears in my Eyes


Did you like my rhyme?? I thought you would....


A few weeks into Mark and I dating, he bought me the book "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss. I children's book. Not too romantic and slightly awkward.

"Thanks??" I replied cautiously, honored by the gesture of him giving me a gift but unsure of the thought behind it.

"Maybe it was his favorite book as a child" I thought to myself. Giving him the benefit of the doubt.


"Or maybe he looks at me as a child" --super creepy. This isn't some weird fetish is it? :) jhehe


No, it was none of those things. Mark knew what I needed to heal and gave me a "little push" in the form of a famous children's book.


I had read it as a child once or twice and seen it in passing nearly every time I went into a bookstore. When people ask you about books that have changed their life, you will often hear famous author like "Emily Bronte, Charles Dickens, John Piper etc". But not often is Dr. Seuss put into that group. I wanted to share with you, my friends, a few sections in the book "Oh the Places You'll Go" and how it reflects the times I have gone through and am still going through and the hope I have, through my Lord Jesus, to end my story, my road like this story does.


Wherever you fly, you’ll be the best of the best.

Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

Except when you don’t

Because, sometimes, you won’t.

I’m sorry to say so

but, sadly, it’s true

and hang-ups

can happen to you.

You can get all hung up

in a prickle-ly perch.

And your gang will fly on.

You’ll be left in a Lurch.

You’ll come down from the Lurch

with an unpleasant bump.

And the chances are, then,

that you’ll be in a Slump.

And when you’re in a Slump,

you’re not in for much fun.

Un-slumping yourself

is not easily done........


Oh, the places you’ll go!

There is fun to be done!

There are points to be scored.

There are games to be won.

Fame!

You’ll be famous as famous can be,

with the whole wide world watching you win on TV.

Except when they don’t.

Because, sometimes, they won’t.

I’m afraid that some times

you’ll play lonely games too.

Games you can’t win’cause you’ll play against you.

All Alone!

Whether you like it or not,

Alone will be something

you’ll be quite a lot.

And when you’re alone,

there’s a very good chance

you’ll meet things that scare you right out of your pants.

There are some, down the road between hither and yon

,that can scare you so much you won’t want to go on.

But on you will go

though the weather be foul

On you will go

though your enemies prowl

On you will go

though your arms may get sore

and your sneakers may leak.

On and on you will hike

and I know you’ll hike far

and face up to your problems

whatever they are.

You’ll get mixed up, of course,

as you already know....


And will you succeed?

Yes! You will, indeed!

(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU’LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So…be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Brayor Mordecai Ali Van Allen O’Shea,you’re off to Great Places!Today is your day!Your mountain is waiting.So…get on your way!Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

mindy~ree said...

LOVE this post :)

Mom said...

This reminds me of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. Alexander has a horrible day and expresses his dissatisfaction with life to his mother. At the end of the book she assures him that everyone has a bad day, even in Australia.

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Ph.4:13 or The Message's version: "Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am."

You are loved.