Friday, February 20, 2009

So How Did We Really Meet??


So, I get a text message last night from two dear childhood friends submitting a requested topic for my blog. The request: "How did you meet your boyfriend?" . I find this so funny because this always seems to be everyone's first question; as if they can't fathom the idea of me meeting someone older, romantically, in everyday life . Like I had to travel to some foreign planet where "gold-diggers", "cradle robbers", "cougars" and Hugh Hefner's ex girlfriends all travel to find a date for the weekend. This is often how the conversation goes...

"So how did you meet Mark?".

"Mutual friends".

Long pause......"REALLLLY".

Meaning......how do you even have mutual friends?? Isn't he....older??? Doesn't he like live in a house like old people do and have a mortgage and pool, a life insurance policy and (long dramatic pause) KiDs!!?! But, never the less, the curiosity of my friends and family has been quite entertaining. So...how did we really meet?? The following are a few scenarios. Maybe one is the right story or maybe they all are the right story. Take a guess......


1.) We met at church....while we were both married. (Oh no the horror!!) BUT, before you fall on your knees and throw Holy Water at your computer screen, it was only in passing. Mark was my ex-husbands' Youth group, Sunday school teacher. We didn't reconnect until we ran in to each other at a bar this past summer (don't tell the baptist) and began chatting. When we realized that we both were recently divorced, we exchanged numbers, left the bar and enjoyed a late night breakfast with each other. We went out on our first 'real' date the next day.


2.) We met through a mutual friend. A co-worker of mine was trying to get me out of what she liked to call a "slump". She made it her personal goal and utmost priority to find me a man. I was beginning to think she was not trying to find the the perfect man...just ANY man. She began by setting me up with a golf pro she knew. She showed me a picture and he seemed cute and I like golf, so I thought that would be a great match...WRONG. Complete and Total photo-fraud! So bad I didn't even recognize him when he sat down across from me at the restaurant. So, needless to say, when she suggested I try one more friend of hers, I was a bit apprehensive. We I went up to Mark, at the wine bar after being 15 minutes late- he stood up (tall-Check!) and smiled (cute-Check) and lead me to the table by placing, but not touching, his hand at the small of my back (gentleman-CHECK)....I knew that I was in for a great night. We stayed and talked for hours and had such a good time. When he called the next day and asked me out again...I whole heartedly said "YES".


3.) We met on a dating web site. I allowed my curiosity to get the best of me, went against my better judgement and signed up for match.com on a three week trial. Online dating, quickly proved itself to be all that I imagined....Horrible! I absolutely hated it. The first guy I talked to online (cute, seemingly funny, smart, successful) ended up solely being online to find lonely desperate women to participate in his "threesome" fantasies. I pulled myself out of that running before you could say "sex addict". Went to the movies with another guy who tried to hold my hand 3 minutes into the show and I freaked out on him....never heard back from that guy. When my 3 wks was coming to an end, I got a message from a nice looking man. I read his profile and he seemed interesting, but my experience had been so bad, I didn't contact him. A few days later with only a few short days to spare on the site...I decided to write the guy back. I'm so glad that I did. Three days later, we met up for dinner and both agreed it was the best blind date ever.


4.) We met in the parking lot. I was running across the parking lot at my work-shoes in one hand, Starbucks coffee in the next. I was 5 minutes late for an emergency meeting our CEO had just called. Mark was also walking up to my building to meet with a customer of his on the 7th floor of my building. He was walking in front of me, with his associates as I dashed past him and....spilled my Starbucks on the sleeve of his jacket. I spun around and apologized expecting to get a thrashing from him. He said it was not a problem and smiled. I ran into my office and slipped in late to my meeting. As I was coming out of the restroom a few hours later I saw him step off the elevator. I walked up to him, apologized again and handed him my business card to contact me if I ruined his suit. Well he contacted me a few days later, not to pay for his dry cleaning but to ask me to dinner. I said yes. He still hasn't gotten that suit cleaned..he likes to say it is our very first memory.


So which one (or ones) is it? How did Mark and I really meet?

5 comments:

kelsey said...

oooh, oooooh, ooooh, the last one!! I hope its the last one! :D

Mark Gardner said...

Jen - you are so cute when you refer to me as "old" and such. But, I guess it's true -- you did meet me on 'sugardaddies.com' and all. Well, I've got to run -- "Golden Girls" is about to come on, and then it's time for my afternoon nap. You know how us old people are...

Terri said...

Numero UNO!

wetherell said...

Jenn, you are so funny.... you are one creative lady!!!!

Little Leach said...

I know! I know! I know!! THe Bar one!