Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mitch


Today you are nine. Only knowing you a few years, what I know of most your childhood has been observed through pictures. You were such a cute baby, a beautiful little boy and now, a handsome young man.

The day I first met you, I was really nervous. Not only because I loved your daddy, but I knew how much he loved you. I didn't know if you would accept me into your life but really hoped you would. I drove up to the house to find you waiting for me outside in the front yard decked out in a Star Trek trooper costume. You were having an imaginary fight with the tree. You lifted up your helmet to examine the person who just drove up and into your life. You were quiet at first but very observant. But by the end of the night, you were talking my ear off about your favorite sports, video games and pet snakes.

Now, you are one of my best friends. I remember the first time you opened up to me and told me how you felt when your mommy and daddy got a divorce. You told me it made you sad. Then you told me that me being with your daddy made you happy. You opened up to me and shared your heart. We have had many precious moments like that since then that have meant the world to me.

I love when you snuggle in really close and tell me you love me. I love that you have a million different names you would like to be called- Tree Frog, Triple X and Bucky. I love the way you smell after you've been playing really hard; like a stinky sweaty and blissfully happy little boy. I love that you have a love for reading and learning. You are constantly asking questions and wanting to know more.

I love how much you look like your daddy and how you are sometimes too hard on yourself just like he is. You are a great athlete, but what I really love about watching you play sports is how kind you are to your teammates and opponents. You have Jesus in your heart and he will never leave you, my darling. You are one of a kind. A precious gift from God that I am SO blessed to get to experience. Thank you for the gift of you, my sweet and wonderful step-son.

Happy Birthday, Mitch!

{Photos: Ree Photography}

16 comments:

purseblogger said...

This is so sweet. He is so cute! I'm so glad you two have such a special relationship. Happy Birthday Mitch!

Kimberly said...

That was so nice! Sounds like you have a great relationship with him. Your both lucky!

Kellen said...

Aww, Jen... So sweet! You made me cry. God is so merciful to bring comfort and blessing from unexpected places like a child who will love us and we can love back.

Jean said...

New follower from Friday Follow:

http://billandjeanadopt.blogspot.com/

Happy birthday to your son!

sweet european dreams said...

beautiful photos - glad I found you on FF today!
http://www.sweeteuropeandreams.blogspot.com/

Alaina said...

& I'm crying :) lol...so sweet & so happy for you!

Heavenly Savings said...

Happy Birthday Mitch! What an awesome post!! I’m a new follower! Feel free to check out my blog as well! http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com
Happy Friday Follow! Hope to Blog with you again soon!

lkl creations said...

precious...

Happy Gramma said...

What a cute guy! He will break some hearts one of these days!
Keep up the good work. It sounds like you are agreat mom.
Visit me @
www.happyfamilyhappykids.blogspot.com

Mayra, mommy to Pooh Bear said...

Awww this is the sweetest. It's great that you two have a great relationship! What a handsome boy!

Stopping by fromm ff.

Have a lovely weekend!

21st C. DG said...

Love your blog! New FF. Happy Bday to mitch!
http://www.21stcenturydomesticgoddess.com/

Alissabeth said...

Such a sweet post!

Following from FF.

Sarah Lewis said...

How nice!

Following now from Friday Follow. Hope you'll follow back!

Sarah
http://lewiscrazyhouse.blogspot.com

Grandma Carol said...

Happy Birthday, Mitch! Your birthday present is coming! I promise.

Denise said...

Stopping by from Friday Follow to say Hi! I am now a follower!

Stop by and enter my giveaway for Rachael Ray Bakeware:
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/2010/04/do-you-know-about-family-of-csn-stores.html

kanishk said...

ounds like you have a great relationship with him. Your both lucky!
post free classified ads