Tuesday, July 20, 2010

An Older Man

So, now that you know how Buckethead and I met (the lovely mystical world of on-line dating) one might wonder how the two of us found each other amongst the hundreds of thousands of desperate singles franticly searching profile after stinking profile of endless people professing that they too love long walks on the beach, romantic dinners and truly do look better in person than in their pictures (sure ya do).

I mean, I don’t blame you for wondering. If the computer were to match me up with a postulation on my compatibility, I’m assuming they find my counterpart to be a single male, mid-to late 20’s, no kids. So one might question, how did she end up finding and dating a man 15 years her senior with two kids and a 30 year mortgage?

Aside from the fact that Buckethead is absolutely perfect and any woman that crossed his path and passed him up would be a absolute dolt, the reality is a simple fact: I like older men.

Cindy McCain, wife of Senator John Mccain is 17 years his junior. She has been quoted stating, “Having a strong father, I wanted an older man”. So, not only do I agree with her stance on health care, I also agree with her on her reasoning behind marrying older.

The signs have been there for me all along. Growing up, I had a huge crush on my dad’s best friend and watching Twilight I found myself oooing and ahhhing. But not over Jacob—the steamy, hot (literally and figuratively) werewolf; not Edward—the icy, hard as stone sex-pot. No, none other than Bella’s dad—the slightly older, mustache donning cop. I mean, he’s hot right? And while ABC has searched the country over finding the best and hottest bachelors, I have found none to be as good-looking and nice as the host, Chris Harrison.

So, turns out I would prefer a guy with bad knees over a boy with ache problems. But it’s all relative. In every choice in life there is good and bad. Being with Buckethead has made me mature in areas in life that would have taken me much longer to develop and heck, I think I keep him young! He has been all over the world and experienced things I’ve never even imagined but it makes him a really great tour guide.

Now don’t get me wrong, there are times when the age difference is more than apparent and at times even strange. One’s applying Rogaine; the other’s applying zit cream. Not to mention the fact that his daughter and I both like to bedazzle headbands, have matching Twilight shirts and like to sit in front of the T.V. with a Barbie coloring book and watch the Disney Channel. I’m sure when I’m in the mist of these activities my husband tilts his head and thinks, “What have I done?”

But when we are running amok and I can’t figure out how to work a dishwasher and he doesn’t get my references to “Saved by the Bell” and we feel like we are on different wave lengths, one thing is always present- we are crazy about each other. And that’s all that counts—age difference or no age difference.

post signature

11 comments:

JakePorter said...

What is Cindy McCain's stance on health care?

Ms. Emily Ann said...

Cute post! And more power to you girl friend, to each their own, and happiness comes in all different shapes and sizes, I am happy you found yours!

Jess said...

I love the idea of an older man. So stable. So secure. *sigh* I got lucky with my same-age-ish man, but were he to float off into oblivion? Older. For sure.

Courtney said...

My boyfriend is 8 years older than me and we've been dating for a year and a half and people STILL give me crap about. I'm just like, get over it! Who cares, ya know?!

Buckethead said...

Jake - Cindy McCain's stance on healthcare is that her husband will increasingly need more and more!

JayPo -- I prefer "A More Mature Man", or "A Refined Man", or "A Man with whom Time has been Spent" as opposed to "An Older Man." Sigh. Anyway, if I'm applying Rogain, I'm sure it's due to something you did! Plus, which one of us craves Luby's at 5:30PM more -- me or you?!?! That would be you, Ms. Luann's Special.

And Julia, your step-daughter, called -- she want's her Edward Cullen shirt back -- you've had it for months. Her Justin Bieber CD too - she wants that back.

Aly @ Analyze This said...

I've always had a thing for older men, too...And I mean at least 7 -10 years older!

Love the fact the BH reads this blog and comments back! I can feel the love y'all have through the WWW! :)

kellenreid said...

I want to know Mrs. McCain's stance on health care too.

And at what age is learning how to use the dishwasher appropriate or necessary?

JPO said...

Cindy McCain's stance on health care is that breast augmentation and face lifts not be classified under "elected" surgery.

Amie said...

LOVE this post! I completely agree with you. My boyfriend is 5yrs older than me and I love it. He is MUCH more mature than the men my age, he is a little old fashion (his upbringing - was raised soley by his dad) and knows just how to treat a woman - I am convinced this is cause he was born and raised in the South! ;) Anyway, Love is Love...regardless of age....

Amie said...

LOVE this post! I completely agree with you. My boyfriend is 5yrs older than me and I love it. He is MUCH more mature than the men my age, he is a little old fashion (his upbringing - was raised soley by his dad) and knows just how to treat a woman - I am convinced this is cause he was born and raised in the South! ;) Anyway, Love is Love...regardless of age....

Carrie said...

This was a great post. I am 17 yrs younger than my husband, we have been married for 12 years and you explained it so much better than ever have! I hear ya with the step daughter! Sometimes hubby looks at us like "help me"....the only thing I disagree with though......seriously did you see the abs on Jacob/Taylor? I felt like a pedophile for a minute there