Thursday, September 2, 2010

These are my Confessions

I have a confession. Mind you, I've been needing to confess this for a long time, however I've been too embarrassed to face the music. What can I say? I guess I'm a follower. I hate being different. Now, I tried and I tried to change, but my efforts were useless. I tried to ignore this feeling but it kept coming to the surface like the aftertaste of bad sushi. But I realized perhaps it's time to come clean. So, here's the truth:

I hate shows about cakes.

It's CAKE, ladies. I don't need to watch Cupcake Wars, Cake Battle, Dream Cakes, Who's the Boss of the Cake or whatever the crap is called. I mean, how does TLC get away with these pathetic excuses for a T.V. show? I would rather watch a make-out scene from the series about the creepy old couple that have 19 kids than be forced to sit through an hour long segment about the drama of baking.

However, my girlfriends love these shows. I smile during the conversation of these cake shows, nodding my head in agreement so hard I nearly have a concussion. But, I just can't relate. Aside from the fact I like to EAT cake, there is nothing else in my realm of interest that would make watching these shows remotely entertaining.

That being said, it makes me question: Does this make me less of a domestic woman? Is the fact that I would rather watch Jersey Shore get their GTL on, or people busting it on Wipe out embarrass my gender? Perhaps I am flawed as a homemaker. Are we all suppose to enjoy cooking shows? Who killed JFK? Does this define us as women? Did Yankee Doodle really name is feather macaroni? Should I fake it, till I feel it?

Sometimes I feel like my transition into suburbia is completed. Until, I try to sit through an episode of some cranky, fat people frosting a cake and then I quickly realize-- nope, nope, not there yet.

post signature

7 comments:

Jess said...

ME TOO!!!

I really, really hate them. I find myself having the urge to just smash the stupid cakes. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like cake a lot. And I'd eat it in a heartbeat. I just don't really care about the drama of making it.

I also hate cooking shows, even though I love to cook. Something about watching other people touch food grosses me out. (I have serious issues)

Liz Rock said...

I have to say I don't like most of them... BUT I like ace of cakes b/c they come up with some cool stuff!

hotpants™ said...

I've only watched one of them. I'm not sure what it's called. They decorate huge, fancy cakes depending upon what that week's challenge is. One person gets voted off until everyone's gone. It's not so bad, but I only catch it when I'm at my in-law's house. I don't ever watch The Food Network. I don't cook so I don't care.

www.thecadefamily.blogspot.com said...

Chris Rock once said, "The thing about beautiful women...they can't cook....you'll see some fine-ass piece of woman, and you know that she's just lost in the kitchen...."

That's given me comfort for years. We must be fine-ass.

Aly @ Analyze This said...

You crack me up!

I feel like they're all the same (Ace of Cakes, Cake Boss, DC Cupcakes, blah, blah, blah) ... I gain too much weight just watching the shows! Um, no bueno!

Katie said...

i too cannot stand cake shows. i don't get it. do i get to eat this cake? no? do i even get to smell it? no? is it for an important event that is somehow being planned for muah? no? then i don't give a whosie-whatsit!

agreed agreed, 10,000 times agreed.

we hate you. love, us said...

ok, I LOVE that you said this. I HATE THOSE SHOWS!!! I want to east cake - I don't want to watch a show about it. And really, how are there so many shows about cake? I don't get it. Sure every once in a while I see a beautifully decorated cake in a magazine or something and go "hm, that looks nice"...and then I move on. 2 seconds of my life. An hour long show? I don't think so.