Monday, November 22, 2010

The Gift

My dad is one of the most giving men in this world. The best part about my Dad is the kind of gift giver he is; the giver that doesn't desire anything in return. Maybe that's why I've been blessed with the gift of RECEIVING. Yes, I am one of the best gift receivers you'll ever meet. Just buy me something and I'll prove it to you. If you need some suggestions, just email me and I'll send you over the Nordstroms catalog.

My dad always taught me when you give, you give when no one sees. That way the only treasure you receive is from God, not man. So normally, I don't deem it fit to brag or boast about charity, however I do find it very neccessary to fall on my knees and thank God for the amazing little man he is growing my step-son into.

Mitch (my 9 y.o. step-son) approached Buckethead a few weeks ago with a burden that was heavy on his heart. With sad eyes, he told his dad he wanted to help the homeless.

When Buckethead asked Mitch what gave him this desire, his response was, "God told me at church and it made me really sad".

Buckethead told Mitch to brainstorm how he would like to help the homeless. Not long after, Mitch came back to his dad and told him he would like to give the $100 he had been saving up this year to the homeless in downtown Dallas.

Buckethead and I agreed to match his one hundred dollars and we spent this past Saturday morning making care packages for the men who line up for a warm bed every evening at Austin Street Shelter. With 40 packages of cookies and $5 gift certificates to McDonalds, Buckethead, Mitch and I headed downtown to follow through with the desire God laid on my precious son's heart.


As I watched him walk towards the line of men, I was reminded of how blessed we are and how we are to use that to be a blessing to others. Soon a crowd surrounded this little boy who said yes to the calling of Jesus. He didn't let his fears deter him from what he needed to do.Instead, he just went to those precious people who had absolutely nothing to give in return and he showed them that they were "inscribed in the palm of God's hand". He gave to them and wanted nothing in return. The gift was the giving.
And as he walked back to the car, I wept. I wept for the lowly and the weak; I wept for those people who did not have a home, a bed or a family; I wept because life sometimes isn't fair. But those tears were also filled with such pride and such love that filled my heart for Mitch. For the heart of a child who loves Jesus and loves the people that Jesus' loves. At 9 years old, his heart was breaking for what breaks our God's heart. It was one of my most cherished moments.

23 comments:

Molly said...

Oh my word! This is the most precious thing I've heard, seriously! What a sweet son you have! I cried looking at these photos and reading this post. How touching!

Its amazing the things that God can put on our childrens hearts!

Charbelle said...

Just as you made me cry at work I read the phrase snotted all over my sleeve and it made me laugh! Truly a blessing and thank you for sharing!!

Jess said...

Pregnant weepy tears abound here.

What a beautiful moment, shared by your family. There's nothing more perfect and pure than the heart of a child. And this story totally made my day.

You have such a right to be proud.

Tiffany said...

I was tearing up just reading about it! What a sweet boy!

Grimes Life said...

Ah Jen that is just precious! :)What a servant's hear at such a young age!

Alaina said...

You did it again, I"m just crying like a baby reading this! Such a sweet, sweet boy..I know your family is so proud-Good Job Mitch!

Sole Matters said...

every time i read a post, i fall more in love with your family and blog! thats awesome that he wanted to do that!!

Anne said...

Reading this made me so happy! Love what God is doing in and through your son.

R said...

You have an amazing son there. This kind of thing just warms my heart because I work with so many students who wouldn't ever think to do anything like that and it makes me a little jaded about kids now. Thank you for sharing this.

Kristen said...

What a sweet, sweet boy. and now I need to go find a kleenex.

Whitney said...

I absolutely love your blog!

This post totally made me cry. I worked an event with the homeless last month and it made me cry too :(

Tara said...

awww!!! what a sweet sweet boy!!

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Thank god I'm home for the day ... I have mascara running down my face and snot on my sleeve!

Mitch is SO precious! What a wonderful thing to do and be apart of.

He is a great portrait of "Paying it Forward." Please, give Mitch an extra hug tonight from me. He has forever touched my heart with this sweet story.

Love you and your wonderful family!

Haven's Mom said...

I am crying at my desk! What a moving story. Your little Mitch is a treasure!

Summer said...

Oh my goodness I am crying, tears are just a streaming down my cheeks! That is the most precious story I have ever heard! What an amazing 9 year old boy you all have!! How awesome is it that he felt the LORD'S calling and gave his savings to help the needy! My heart is so warmed by this! I have to say that you all are doing an amazing job raising this little boy to be so kind, nurturing and loving GOD so much! This is just AWESOME!!

Thanks for sharing this story and I agree that when you give a gift the best part is the giving!!

Lindsi said...

Just stopping by from Aly's blog. Amazing story! I LOVE how God uses the tender hearts of children to teach us adults a lesson. It is my desire that I can go to God each and every day with the "heart of a child." Way to go, Mitch!

Kit said...

This is a awesome story. That little boy is very special!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Jenn @ West Sac Honey said...

Such a sweet and amazing story your stepson is such a sweet boy I'm inspired by your story and I'm crying at work.. Time to go hide in the bathroom.

BelleinBows said...

What a beautiful story and heart that young man has. This brought tears to my eyes.

Emily and Derek Williams plus one said...

This reminds me of one of the boys I grew up with at church. He was autistic and cherished a tin box of bandaids. He never used them but he carried them around and saved them. One day at church when the offering plate was going around Taylor (the autistic boy) took one of the bandaids from the tin and placed it into the plate. It was his most prized possessions and he gave it to the church because he knew that's what you were supposed to do. It still makes me tear up thinking about it. Your step son has some really great guidance from you and buckethead. Love reading your blog.

elizabeth said...

It makes me smile that there are still people (& children) in the world that are truly selfless and so devoted to what God calls them to do. Thank you for sharing such a sweet story. Happy (early) Thanksgiving!

Candice Pair said...

Stopped by from Aly's blog. Seriously, the sweetest story that I've heard in a long time. You have one amazing little step-son, and I pray he continues to follow God and his heart. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksigving!

Steph Massengale said...

Jen, this was such a sweet story! You are so amazingly blessed with your precious family!!