Friday, February 25, 2011

Little Victories

For those of you who have not noticed my temporary absence from the blog-world....good for you! By now, you've finally realized the life in which I felt I should share its innermost details is really not all that different from anyone elses mundane existence. Now, I'm not saying I'm complacent with my life; quite the contrary. However, my daily dealings just aren't any more exciting than yours.

I'm sure I hooked a few of you in initially three years ago with my tales of woe during my divorce. I mean who doesn't love a tragedy to remind them that someone elses life sucks more than theirs does? I mean, that's why we're obsessed with Kate Gosslin as a nation, right? SIGN ME UP FOR DWTS! I'm a train-wreck waiting to happen!

But once the thrill was gone, the curiosity of a second marriage to a hunk 15 years my senior kept you absorbed in my life like a Bounty paper towel. Sugar Daddy? Yes please! I'll take one of those quicker picker uppers!

And now I've gotten you use to the scandals of my so-called life...always pressured to one up my self with something even more inappropriate than the last story.

Now what?

Do you want a story on me buying hemorrhoid cream? Maybe a tale of the time I burned the roast? Or how much Charlie Sheen paid me to sleep with him and how long he locked me in his closet? Gotcha....just making sure you're paying attention.

The life of a suburban wife is a very complex existence. I work; I clean; I cook--although I don't do any of the three particularly well and I'm beginning to feel like everyone else does it better. I ignore weird smells that reek of my step-kids, my dogs and yes, even my husband. I try to organize and look busy when I'm really thinking...what the hell should I do next?

And to top it all off....don't forget, I'm still young. Just 5 years ago I finished up my Senior year of College, where I lived off of bagel bites, wine coolers and one load of laundry a month. Now the majority of my friends are slightly older than me (I'm not going to tell your real age, Kath) and often refer to television shows I've never heard of....just once I wish someone would strike up a conversation about "Saved by the Bell". Then we could debate on who was hotter: AC Slater or Zack Morris and why Jesse got addicted to that SPEED in the first place.

I digress. All that to say, sometimes I still don't know what the hell I'm doing. Now, I live in a mammoth of a house and I go, "What, you mean to tell me your suppose to wash the dishes BEFORE you put them in the dishwasher?" A perplexing question, without a reasonable answer. It's a DISH "WASHER"

Mind you, I think I'm catching on to this whole wife, mother, Queen-of-my-Domain thing. It hasn't happened all at once; slowly but surely. That being said, I have my days where I feel like a total failure and I just don't think I will ever get it right.

But I've decided to bask in the little victories.

Victory in doing an entire basket full of laundry and not losing a single sock. Victory in my step-son eating an entire meal and not gaging once. Victory in my husband telling me he likes the flower arrangement I bought (he changed his mind after he saw the price tag). Victory in my mom coming to visit and her not spending her entire visit picking up after me. Victory in my step-kid's mom telling me "thank you for loving her kids". Victory in knowing how far I've come in the past year. Victory in knowing....even like this, I'm still way better than Paris Hilton.

SO CHEERS TO LITTLE VICTORIES! May we all bask in the glory of them from time to time.

post signature

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Honey - after being married for that past 3 years, I have just decided that none of us are perfect! Always celebrate in the victories - no matter how big or small!!!!!

Emily said...

I just celebrated my 3rd anniversary this month too and trust me...NONE of us are perfect. I'm just glad they make cell phone covers to protect my phone when my 2 year old pukes on it, fire detectors to tell me when dinner is done, and those new color absorbing sheets for when you accidentally let a bright pink pair of underwear slip in with the whites. Keep up the hard work even if you don't think it's as good as it really is. Love reading your blog and I'm glad you're not MIA.

Ashley Paige said...

Being married and raising children is ALL about celebrating the little victories! i couldnt have said it better myself- i think we ALL struggle with that. I'm a brand new stay at home mom/wife and i have ZERO clue that i'm supposed to do. I graduated college six years ago and all i want to do is sit on the computer and online shop.. but wait- i have a husband to feed and a BABY to take care of.. WTF? I'm always wondering.. "what next.." i loved this post! welcome back.. i missed you :)

lauren said...

Cheers to little victories! :)

Aly @ Analyze This said...

Glad to see you back blogging, JPo....I've missed ya!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

It is hard enough being a working wife, but I can't imagine with kiddos too!!!

Buckethead said...

Jpo - You aren't perfect. But you are perfect for me, AND for our family!

Tiffany said...

I'm so excited, I'm so excited, I'm so SCARED! hehe! Love me some Saved by the Bell - we can chat about it anytime. ;)

I do love your blog and your stories - you are a great writer and I could imagine even the hemorrhoid cream run would be hilarious if you wrote about it. ;)