Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Not Guilty

I'm going to climbed up on my soap box for a minute (which is really hard after the burrito I had at lunch) and take a few moments to express my humble opinion about the Casey Anthony verdict. Sure, maybe I didn't go to law school and I don't have a fancy JD after my name. However, I have had several last names and I am an expert at the television network, Oxygen. A channel that survives off of re-runs of Forensic Files and Snapped--both shows about serial killers and convictions. Oh, and the Bad Girls Club, but I don't watch that one.....often.



Anyways, you may say I'm a little obsessed with crime theory thus I have been interested and slightly following the Casey Anthony Murder Trial. A few hours ago, Casey was found NOT Guilty of the murder of her daughter, Caylee. I'm not going to go into a large hypothesis theory or even say that I don't believe that she killed her daughter. Actually, I'm pretty sure she did.



BUT, did you hear what I just said....I'm PRETTY sure she did it. I think the Jury gave justice to this trial. Where was the concrete evidence? I couldn't find it and all I saw were clips from Nancy Grace and Fox News. I didn't sit for months in a court room going over the evidence, but twelve US citizens did. Twelve normal Americans, not a King or a Dictator. Those twelve citizens found her NOT guilty.



All over Facebook, my friends (whom I admire and respect their opinions) are saying Justice was not served. I beg to differ. You can't send a person to jail for life or even decades of their life if you are basing this on a hunch. The irony of the trial ending the day after Independence Day shows us in a hard way that we truly do live in the best country in the world and that we truly do have the best justice system in the world. Because, in our country everyone deserves a fair trial. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. And regardless if Casey is actually guilty, the verdict wasn't made on speculations, it had to be determined by facts, proven and convincing to a Jury of 12 peers.



Again, I can't say that Casey didn't kill her daughter. Honestly, I think she is guilty as the day is long but even if she isn't convicted here on this Earth, we have a God who is Just. Caylee will be justified if not in this lifetime, in the next.



post signature

7 comments:

Kristine said...

Love your insight. Great post :)

Morgan said...

I cannot agree with you more.

JLN said...

I'm glad you ended it that way...I was shocked with the verdict, but during the entire trial - which I watched all day when I worked from home - I never once thought that they could find her guilty because there was no evidence. BUT the fact that she's only getting up to 4 years in prison makes me sick. However, she will have to live - outside of jail - with this for the rest of her life and people won't forget it. And neither will God. Great post.

Allyson and Dave said...

I could not agree with you more. I know she she did...or at least had something to do with it. But in a court of law that is not what matters. I can't believe so many people were shocked by the outcome. Did we learn nothing from OJ???

Kim @ Stuff could... said...

I feel the same as you. It is our justice system and believe in it??

Allie said...

toootally disagree...sorry:). Im all about the constitution but we change our American foundation for people all the time...marriage is no longer between a man and a woman and God can no longer be spoken at school. I dont think we have a perfect justice system when we can convict someone of murder when there is not even a body found yet we cant convict in this case because of insufficient evidence? I saw evidence all the way through...it may not have been tangible but what about the American trials years ago where science was not around? We rely so much on CSI that we lose focus on everything else...I def. saw evidence she murdered her baby...I just couldnt hold it in my hand.

Mariposa said...

wow. i absolutely 100% agree with what you said. very well said! :]